by Colleen Kettenhofen
“Hesitation, when one is confronted with a great business idea, is without a doubt the single largest obstacle to wealth. It is only through dynamic action and financial risk that great fortunes are amassed and multiplied.”
Make certain you first read the original article on Million-Dollar Mindsets dated March 9th, 2005 before reading this one. It will set the foundation for what is being written about here. After all, you need to first take responsibility for the choices you’ve made in life. No matter where you’re at, accept that you are where you are as a result of your choices. Then you can effectively move on to finding your passion, fulfilling your dreams and earning multiple streams of income. I know of highly intelligent, highly educated people who will not take that first simple step. They are “stuck” in jobs they can’t stand, emotionally bankrupt, and in some cases financially bankrupt, too. Mired in self-pity and constantly blaming others they will never achieve their dreams. So…. let’s move on to more strategies I learned from that Las Vegas seminar taught by self-made millionaires.
- Burning desire and personal motivation. Whether you want to achieve overall career success or small business success, you must have a burning desire for whatever it is you want to achieve. Because there will be too many roadblocks and detours along your path. And unless you’re fueled by passion, it’s too easy to experience overwhelm, lose focus and just plain give up. I love coffee (as I write this I’m sitting outside Starbucks!) but as I do more and more of the work I enjoy, i.e., producing CD’s and writing an e-book, my need for caffeine has diminished. I’m fueled by passion, purpose and helping others. It’s easy for me to work late into the night. Of course, it’s also easier when you have a cat and dog and no small children. But you get the point. Ask yourself, if you won $50 million in the lottery, what would you do for work even 10 hours per week. Assume you’ve already traveled everywhere and bought everything you could want.
- Hire a motivation or success coach. One of the main reasons small businesses fail is lack of planning and lack of focus. Another reason is procrastination. Procrastination is the result of fear. If you’re having difficulty getting started, hire a motivation coach to push you past the pain of procrastination and into facing your fears. The investment can cost money in the short term but be well worth it once you start seeing results. Every one of the self-made millionaires this past weekend said early on in their career they hired a success team of coaches, tutors, accountants, attorneys and others who could assist them. The message was “don’t try to do everything on your own.” You will feel overwhelmed, procrastinate and fail. So where do you find the finances to hire these experts?
- Offload your stuff. Get rid of the “things” and frivolous expenses that are holding you back. If you’re objecting to hiring a team of experts because you don’t know where the money will come from…what can you sell? Many people have items they want to get rid of but aren’t sure how to post these items with online websites like eBay or Craig’s List. Again, enlist the help of a friend or expert in this area. And must I say it? Find a way fast to get rid of your credit card debt if you have any. The percentage of Americans with debt is shocking.
- Your comfort zone is your money zone. Be willing to be terrified. To make it easier, find out where you are weakest and grow in those areas. Again, surround yourself with positive supportive people who’ve already made it, who can advise you on how to overcome your obstacles.
- Take action. Goals are nothing without action. Write them down. Make them specific, measurable and realistic. Keep them in your wallet. Write affirmations and tape them to your bathroom and living room mirror, bulletin board and refrigerator. Look at them daily. Tape positive affirmations and play them briefly in your car, upon arising in the morning, and just before going to bed. One gentleman at the conference went from being $90,000 in debt (which he paid off) to earning hundreds of thousands a year with this technique. Bombard yourself with positive messages until you believe them.
The main thing to do is get started. Do something. Do anything that will bring you closer to the personal and professional success you desire. These proven techniques will work for you in achieving greater happiness and fulfillment in any area of your life — if you apply them. Read the right books; spend the majority of your time with people more successful than you. Hire a success team of experts. Learn the new skills you will have to learn in order to make your dream happen. To stretch into a new money zone, remember you must stretch out of your comfort zone.
March 10, 2005
You are free to reprint or repost this article for use in your newsletters, association publications, or intranet provided Colleen Kettenhofen’s contact information (name, website, and email) is included with the article. Colleen Kettenhofen is a Phoenix, Arizona motivational speaker, trainer, & co-author of “The Masters of Success ,” featured on NBC’s Today Show, along with Ken Blanchard and Jack Canfield. For free articles, video clips, and e-newsletter, visit http://www.ColleenSpeaks.com. Colleen’s area of expertise are leadership, managing people, life balance, difficult people, presentation skills. Colleen is available for keynotes, breakout sessions and seminars.
She can be reached at contact information listed below:
Please let us know how you plan to use this article or send an electronic tear sheet.